LINK TO WATCH
In 17th-century France, Father Grandier (Oliver Reed) is a priest whose unorthodox views on sex and religion influence a passionate following of nuns, including the sexually obsessed Sister Jeanne (Vanessa Redgrave). When the power-hungry Cardinal Richelieu (Christopher Logue) realizes he must eliminate Grandier to gain control of France, Richelieu portrays Grandier as a satanist and spearheads a public outcry to destroy the once-loved priest's reputation.
PRESS RELEASE -
Directed by Ken Russell, The Devils, follows the rise and fall of Urbain Grandier (played by Oliver Reed), a 17th-century Roman Catholic priest executed for witchcraft following alleged possessions in Loudun, France. Alongside Reed, Vanessa Redgrave, plays a sexually repressed, hunchbacked nun that finds herself at the center of the accusations against Grandier. Russell’s controversial film was partly based on the 1952 book The Devils of Loudon by Aldous Huxley and also draws inspiration from the play 1960 The Devils-which was based on Huxley’s book.
About The Devils release on Shudder:
- The March 15 release marks the first time the unrated cut has been widely available to U.S. audiences since its original theatrical release in 1971
- The release is the the longest unrated existing version (109 minutes) of the film
- The Devils has been largely unavailable on home video, and was never released on DVD in the U.S.
- The last U.S. Video release was on VHS, and was the 103-minute R-rated cut of the film
- Also streaming on Shudder: Ken Russell’s Gothic and The Lair of the White Worm
- Photos here
Shudder is a premium streaming video service, super-serving fans of thrillers, suspense, and horror. Backed by AMC Networks, Shudder has a growing and dynamic selection of thrilling premieres, originals, and exclusives, which complement its impressive library of international and independent films, gripping TV series, and Hollywood blockbuster favorites. Shudder streams ad-free in the US, Canada, UK, and Ireland on the web, iOS, Android, Chromecast, Apple TV, and Roku for $4.99/month or $49.99 with an annual membership. To try Shudder commitment-free for 7 days, visit www.shudder.com.